Having a great school year is largely determined by a student’s ability to plan out their day, manage their time, and stick to a routine. In other words, they need to have well-developed executive functioning skills.
What is Executive Functions?
Executive functioning, or what I like to call the Grand Central Station of the brain, is the complex cognitive process of managing a crowd of sensory input and output and applying meaning, all while maintaining one’s “train” of thought. Although many teachers and parents can not fathom how apparently simple tasks such as using an agenda or turning in an assignment can be difficult, the truth of the matter is, the part of the brain that manages executive functioning, is not fully developed until individuals reach their mid 20's.
14 Common Signs of Executive Functioning Weaknesses
Students with Poor Executive Functioning skills are Often Misunderstood.
So What Can be Done to Assist these Students?
- Developing Executive Functions and Study Strategies: A Comprehensive Approach: This course offers comprehensive executive functioning coaching training as well as many assessments and resource materials for working directly with students.
- Executive functions Resource Library: This extensive resource library provides over 650 activities that teachers, practitioners, and therapists can use in online and in-person sessions.
- The Executive Functioning Cognitive Remedial Bundle offers a comprehensive approach to improving a student’s planning, time management, and organization abilities. This bundle offers a discounted suite of downloadable activities, games, and handouts that were designed to help learning specialists, educational therapists, and even parents assist students in developing executive functioning skills. To get a free sampling of activities from one of the publications in the bundle, Click Here
If you would like to watch a video on this content, click on the image below
Cheers, Dr. Erica Warren
· Blog: https://learningspecialistmaterials.blogspot.com/
· YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/warrenerica1
· Podcast: https://godyslexia.com/
· Store: http://www.Goodsensorylearning.com/
· Courses: http://www.learningspecialistcourses.com/
· Newsletter Sign-up: https://app.convertkit.com/landing_pages/69400