OSMO Develops Verbal Reasoning, Sequential, Spatial, and Critical Thinking Skills
Posted by Erica Warren on
Being a personal trainer for the brain, I am always looking for additional multi-sensory tools that can develop the different cognitive processing areas. A few months back, a saw a video promotion for OSMO and I was hooked. I preordered OSMO and recently received my materials. I'm happy to say that it has exceeded my expectations!
What Exactly is OSMO?
OSMO is a wonderful tool that brings iPad activities into the real world. This new technology utilizes the space in front of the iPad to take games off the screen. The use of a base and a reflective camera, allows players to interact with game-like apps. Drawings and physical objects are captured by the device and transported back onto the screen. The product also provides actual tangram shapes, manipulatives as well as letter and number tiles that can be used in the activities. Once the apps are downloaded, there is no need for the internet to play the activities.
What Do I Get When I Purchase OSMO?
OSMO now offers a large selection of games. They all come in neat and well-designed boxes. One box holds the base and reflective device that slips onto the iPad. Other boxes hold manipulatives for the games. Otherwise, directions guide the buyer on how to set up your own iPad by going to a web address and then downloading three free apps. The set up was quick and simple.
Tell Me More About the Three Some of the Activities
There are many games offered by the company, but I will focus on my favorites: Newton, Tangrams, Numbers, Pizza Co, and Words:
- Newton: This game develops spatial reasoning skills, visual-spatial abilities, and executive functioning. The object of this game is to divert a falling ball to one or more targets. Players can do this by first placing a piece of paper or a dry erase board in front of the OSMO and either drawing or placing objects onto this surface. These drawing or objects then appear on the iPad screen, diverting the ball to the target.
- Tangram: This game develops visual spatial abilities, nonverbal reasoning, fine motor skills, and executive functioning. Wooden puzzle pieces can be arranged in the playing field, challenging players to match images projected on the iPad. The game guides players through the process and slowly reveals a map of more difficult puzzles.
- Numbers: This game develops sequential processing and critical thinking skills as well as basic math skills in the areas of addition, subtraction and multiplication. Kids travel to an underwater world and use basic math skills to release fish and other resources into the ocean.
- Pizza Co: This game develops processing speed, listening skills, reasoning, and executive functioning abilities. Players have to run a pizza joint and are responsible for taking the orders, making the pizzas, and making change.
- Words: This game develops verbal reasoning skills, sequential processing and decoding abilities. Images are projected on the iPad to serve as word clues. Players can then place letter tiles in the playing field to guess the possible word. Players can play individually or they can compete against another player. The game gets progressively more difficult as play continues. Best of all you can upload your own words and images to make this game applicable to current academics. What a wonderful way to practice spelling or vocabulary words!
What Other OSMO Games?
The designers continue to create interactive games as the company grows. Some of their other games I really like include drawing games that strengthen visual processing and fine motor abilities.
How Can I Purchase OSMO?
Cheers, Dr. Erica Warren
Dr. Erica Warren is the author, illustrator, and publisher of multisensory educational materials at Good Sensory Learning. She is also the director of Learning to Learn and Learning Specialist Courses.
- Blog: https://goodsensorylearning.com/blogs/news
- YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/warrenerica1
- GSL Blog: https://goodsensorylearning.com/blogs/news
- Stores: www.GoodSensoryLearning.com/
- Courses: http://www.learningspecialistcourses.com/
- Newsletter Sign-up: https://app.convertkit.com/landing_pages/694000