Letter Cube Fun: Freebie Language Arts Game
Posted by Erica Warren on
I love to use foam blocks for all sorts of language arts fun. Most recently, I created a game that my students adore. I call it letter cubes. Here are the steps, so you can create it too.
- You can purchase colorful foam cubes on Amazon for a very reasonable price. I included a link at the bottom of the post.
- Select 12 cubes. I line the cubes up in a row and write all the vowels in capital letters (including "y") on each cube two times making sure not to place the same vowel on a single cube more than once. Then I add the consonants as suggested below.
- I assign the point value on the bottom right hand corner. This will also help the players to orient the letters. For example the letter P will look like the letter d when it is upside-down but as long as the number indicating the point value is in the bottom right hand corner, players can recognize that they need to rotate the letter to the proper orientation. Also, using capital letters helps with letter confusion.
- Other items needed to play: a timer and a set of 12 colored cubes with the letters and point values for each player.
- To Play:
- Each player rolls their set of 12 colored cubes onto their playing area (they can not change the orientation of the cubes but must use the letters rolled.
- Set and begin timer for 2-5 minutes. You can decide the amount of time you like.
- Words must crisscross like a scrabble game, and players must try to use as many cubes as they can.
- When the timer goes off, the play ends and players add up their points.
- Bonuses as granted as follows:
- 4 points for a 6 letter word
- 5 points for a 7 letter word
- 6 points for a 8 letter word
Cheers, Dr. Erica Warren
Dr. Erica Warren is the author, illustrator, and publisher of multisensory educational materials at Good Sensory Learning. She is also the director of Learning to Learn and Learning Specialist Courses.
- Blog: https://goodsensorylearning.com/blogs/news
- YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/warrenerica1
- GSL Blog: https://goodsensorylearning.com/blogs/news
- Stores: www.GoodSensoryLearning.com/
- Courses: http://www.learningspecialistcourses.com/
- Newsletter Sign-up: https://app.convertkit.com/landing_pages/694000