As a result, many young learners fall prey to constant interruptions from social media, online video chatting, texting, television and more. Although there are some benefits to being able to shift from task to task, the learning process, as well as the time it takes to complete assignments, is often hindered when attention is continually interrupted. In fact, research suggests that the best way to optimize learning potential is to give one's full attention to a task, and for many young learners this means that they need to develop a metacognitive or mindful approach to learning.
Completing Schoolwork with Greater Efficiency?
How Can Students Learn Metacognitive Approaches?
- Share your own thoughts aloud, so that learners can hear how you think about your own thinking.
- Encourage learners to maintain focus on one task from beginning to end.
- Urge learners to remove all distractions when completing schoolwork.
- Help learners to become aware of their own thought processes through mindfulness.
- Instruct learners on how to plan and manage their time. Provide handouts and materials that help them to think through the process.
- Help learners create an afternoon routine where they schedule downtime and homework time.
- Urge learners to plan and write down their approach, create deadlines, and declare intentions to a parent, teacher or peer.
- Provide assignments that challenge learners to create a study approach and have them share their ideas with their classmates.
- Encourage learners to talk about or write about their approach to your class. What is working? What is not working?
- Allow learners to evaluate your class assignments and approach and make any recommendations that would help them improve their performance in your course.
- Help learners to be aware and take charge of their own inner voice.
- Encourage learners to visualize academic content.
Ready Made Materials for Developing Metacognition and Mindfulness
- Blog: https://goodsensorylearning.com/blogs/news
- YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/warrenerica1
- Executive Function Podcast: https://goodsensorylearning.com/pages/the-personal-brain-trainer-podcast-with-dr-erica-warren
- Store: http://www.Goodsensorylearning.com/
- Courses: http://www.learningspecialistcourses.com/
- Assessments: www.mymemorymentor.com
- Newsletter Sign-up: https://app.convertkit.com/landing_pages/694000