Early intervention is a key strategy for struggling learners. It can help to define a remedial approach and can assist learners with the tools and strategies for working around potential academic challenges. This is a particularly important approach for students with dyslexia.
How Prevalent is Dyslexia?
Recent reports suggest that dyslexia impacts 5-10 percent of the population. Now wouldn't it be wonderful if this condition could be detected before children learned to read? If this were to happen, weaknesses could be strengthened and appropriate teaching methodologies could be selected, making the process of reading successful the first time. This could save the educational system a fortune and these young learners could sail through elementary school with an intact self-esteem.
How Can I Pursue Testing?
- First, you can use my digital dyslexia screener. This free, screener can tell you if testing should be pursued.
- Second, pursue formal testing through your public school for students that are 18 and under. For individuals 19 and up or for those that wish to get testing outside the school system, one can find a local professional. One place to find a professional that offers comprehensive evaluations is the International Dyslexia Association provider directory.
- Third, after testing and a diagnosis has been documented, school and/or workplace “reasonable accommodations” can be established.
How Can I Support a Child with Dyslexia?
- Pursue support with a learning specialist, reading specialist or educational therapist.
- Discover the type of dyslexia with the Comprehensive Dyslexia Screener so support can be tailored to individual needs.
- Find the best reading program
- Do dyslexia related remedial activities:
Detecting learning disabilities such as dyslexia early on can be a wonderful way to optimize a learners potential. I hope you found this blog helpful.
Cheers, Dr. Erica Warren
- Blog: https://goodsensorylearning.com/blogs/news
- YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/warrenerica1
- Executive Function Podcast: https://goodsensorylearning.com/pages/the-personal-brain-trainer-podcast-with-dr-erica-warren
- Store: http://www.Goodsensorylearning.com/
- Courses: http://www.learningspecialistcourses.com/
- Assessments: www.mymemorymentor.com
- Newsletter Sign-up: https://app.convertkit.com/landing_pages/694000