For some students, learning math concepts is challenging and accommodating the individual needs with the current classroom curriculum can be difficult.
To make matters worse, by the time many of these students exhibit the required academic underachievement that qualifies them for the needed assistance, many have negative learning experiences associated with mathematics, they struggle with a poor academic self concept, and some are overwhelmed with feelings of helplessness.
What are the Common Difficulties Associated with Math Skills?
When a student has difficulty with mathematics, they may struggle with any or all of the following:
- Memory - remembering concepts learned over time.
- Sequencing - recalling the required steps to get to an answer.
- Quantitative Reasoning - understanding the logic behind math concepts.
- Spatial Skills - understand and remember object’s orientation in space.
- Visual Processing - making sense of information seen through the eyes.
- Mental Manipulations - manipulating and solving information within the mind.
- Executive Functioning - managing information to achieve a calculation.
- Math Vocabulary - understanding the body of words used in mathematics.
What Can Be Done to Help These Learners?
Appropriate intervention allows students to develop the required core cognitive skills needed and:
- Lessons should begin at a level where the learner can experience success.
- Instruction should be fun and multisensory.
- Lessons should include game-like activities and embedded memory strategies.
- Instructors should have an enthusiastic attitude and come up with fun and enticing names for the lessons.
If you would like ready made materials that can help strengthen these skills and also offers fun and engaging lessons, consider my Math Favorites Bundle. Click on the image below to learn more.
The product included in this bundle are:
- Angles Instruction Memory Strategies and Activities PowerPoint Digital Download
- Measurement Memory Strategies PowerPoint Digital Download
- Money Game Piggy Banking Digital Download
- Monster Long Multiplication Multiplication Digital Download
- Multisensory Multiplication and Division to Melodies Digital Download
- My Pet PEMDAS Digital Download
- Place Value Game and Instruction: Place Value Panic Digital Download
- Quantitative and Spatial Puzzles: Beginners Digital Download
What are Some Other Multisensory Mathematics Products?
To view all of Dr. Warren’s math products click here. If you need help select the best products for your needs, you can always email me at: email@example.com.
Cheers, Dr. Erica Warren
· Blog: https://learningspecialistmaterials.blogspot.com/
· YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/warrenerica1
· Podcast: https://godyslexia.com/
· Store: http://www.Goodsensorylearning.com/
· Courses: http://www.learningspecialistcourses.com/
· Newsletter Sign-up: https://app.convertkit.com/landing_pages/69400